Pages

Sunday, June 25, 2006

trey, you were loved

this morning.
it's two am and im tired. an hour long drive home ahead of me. i decide to check my messages before leaving b/c the internet at my house is down. weird message from a student, asking if i knew a kid named trey...

rewind two years. it's my first year teaching. nervous. excited. love my kids. trey, who didnt like if i called him walter, his first name, was a funny kid who liked to make that sarcastic remark at the exact moment that it was appropriate. it was his job to entertain me in class. and, like all my kids, i loved him. missed homework assignments? you know it. failed a test here or there? sure. but i loved him . . .

fast forward to april 2006. i'm meeting students to go see akeelah and the bee. waiting in line to get a ticket, i glance through the glass and see a somewhat familiar face outside. the face is hidden by shaggy hair, and the young man is a bit taller than the boy i remember knowing, but it's him. i knew it. and he saw me. and he knew it. i went outside, gave him a hug, and we talked. he had just turned in an application at the theater. i mentioned a cd i had just finished making. he said he wanted one. we headed over to my car while he finished his cigarette. "sorry for smoking in front of you."
"dont worry about it." and i smiled as i handed him the cd, explaining that it was crap, but i hope he'd like it.
he said thanks, and we said goodbye.

fast forward to two days ago. trey sent me a message saying that he kept the akeelah and the bee poster for me. (he got the job at the theater) he said for me to just call him to get the poster.

yesterday. trey drowned at tybee.

trey, everyone is asking "why?" i know i am. but at this point, all i know is that you were loved.

we miss you, and hopefully we'll meet again someday.

1 comment:

nelly said...

i am so sorry to hear that one of your students passed away. it must be so hard, to teach year in and year out, loving your students, and then hearing that they have gone before their 'expected' time on earth.

(i'm a milligan alum too)